Position: Associate Director
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Requirements: Eligible to work in South Africa
Manager: Director, Public Policy & Regulatory Affairs
Africa Practice is a strategic advisory firm operating at the nexus of industry and government in Africa. We supply insights and advocacy solutions to corporations, investors, governments and foundations in Africa, enabling them to see more clearly, engage with confidence and unlock value to drive sustainable, equitable development.
Guided by our vision – an influential and prosperous Africa, inspiring the world – we empower organisations to deploy capital and execute development programmes at scale.
Our solutions are rooted in a deep appreciation of stakeholders and a conviction that sustainable performance depends on building trust, respecting the environment, solving social problems and creating opportunity.
You will play a central role in our Public Policy & Regulatory Affairs (PPRA) practice, advising clients across all of the continent’s regions. While you will work closely with the Director of the PPRA practice in developing innovative, client tailored solutions with an impact and development focus, acting as deputy, you will also lead and grow in your own area of interest and expertise, in the spirit of collaboration and complementarity.
You will lead complex public policy consulting projects, manage high-profile retained clients and accounts, develop new business (particularly in Southern Africa and continent-wide accounts), and collaborate with our Intelligence and Communications practices to develop complex policy risk assessments and develop full-suite advocacy and community management solutions.
You will oversee a small but growing team of public policy, legislative intelligence, public advocacy and thematic experts, working across a number of industries, including the TMT, creative, FMCG, financial services, medical and public sector.
The ideal profile
- You’re an experienced and passionate public policy advisor who excels in intellectual thinking and creative solutions design and you are proactive in execution.
- You have 7+ years experience in a relevant role, with demonstrated experience in building and managing complex and sensitive stakeholder relationships incl. with clients.
- You are creative, rooting your solutions in the “bigger picture”, while ensuring implementation at the local level.
- You are passionate about public policy development in Africa, seeking to advocate for international best practice, both regarding substance and process, and you have an appreciation for the dynamics and drivers that shape policy and regulation at national level.
- You excel in quickly understanding previously unfamiliar and complex issues and circumstances and enjoy understanding the operational application of policy and the design of suitable solutions – both on the business and the policy side.
Client servicing and management
- Manage a diverse portfolio of projects across sectors and regions, ensuring team and client satisfaction and value-add, as well as optimal use of resources
- Lead on PPRA projects for key, retained clients such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and a large FMCG client
- Build strong and profitable client relationships, guided by empathy and a deep understanding of clients’ needs
- Review and quality control, while providing constructive and growth-oriented feedback to team members across all hubs
- Maintain a high level of regional expertise ( Southern Africa) through in-country network expansion
- Develop a network that can yield quality leads, high-value intelligence, and technical expertise for sub-contracting across multiple sectors and geographies
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders and decision-makers in South Africa to gather intelligence on their policies, attitudes, current plans and upcoming actions, feeding into our PPRA work
- Conceptualise new ways of delivering output and client-oriented solutions to optimise Africa Practice’s value proposition
- Contribute to internal strategy as Africa Practice expands its product portfolio and client book
Team management and mentorship
- Manage cross-hub project-based teams in a collaborative, productive, instructive and inspiring way
- Provide guidance, dive into the details of technical work, and raise team morale throughout the project cycle
- Mentor consultants across different ranks, taking responsibility for their professional growth and recognising their idiosyncrasies
- Identify team members’ training needs, devise and lead on subject-matter training sessions
- Contribute to our culture of creating safe spaces to raise issues and challenge the status quo
Personal growth and leadership
- Challenge yourself by offering out-of-the box solutions to clients, which might go against your and their preconceptions and are likely to change attitudes across the board
- Build your curiosity and courage further, not only in terms of project-related themes and issues, but also vis-a-vis new technology, methodology, business practice and thought leadership
- Proactively take advantage of learning opportunities within and beyond Africa Practice, especially in fields outside business intelligence
- Identify opportunities to grow accounts strategically, across geographies and issue areas
- Deepen engagement with development-oriented clients and prospects
- Lead business development in South Africa, while supporting such initiatives in all other regions
Content curation and marketing
- Devise and produce innovative marketing collateral, including regular contributions, improvement and management of our existing marketing initiatives
- Manage the development of engaging, traffic-attracting open access analysis on our website
- Represent Africa Practice at high-level industry events
- Develop strong relationships with regional and trade journalists and publications
- Provide expert comment to media and undertake broadcast work as requested
If you are interested, please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]